Thursday, October 17, 2013

Store Espresso, Camperdown


During this sketch I was determined to add a person as a part of a record of my experience in the café. The staff were attentive, courteous and also happy for me to draw and paint. Much appreciated! 
 
Baristas seem to be a good place to start introducing figures because they are so often only viewed in parts - rarely the whole - and even if they move, there is a very good chance they will return to the same position soon after. Plus, in my view,  anyone who has the ability to make a great coffee deserves some kind of immortalization. 

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I love this sketch. I struggle to include people in my drawings, always thinking they will ruin it. I need to be braver. Your inclusion of the barista definitely adds a dynamic, documentary element to this and I think it works beautifully. He would have loved this immortalisation of himself! Did you show him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I still have much the same hesitation with including people for the same reason. I'm trying to practice drawing people on a more regular basis now so that when I finally have a pic to include them in I can do so with a bit more confidence (in theory!). I did show the final piece to the staff. It makes for a much nicer connection when they are friendly too. I think it impacts my drawing. If they are grumpy I tend not to share it, and I'm probably prone then to only draw my coffee and get out of there!

      Delete
  2. Amazing! I love the attention to detail like the biscuits in the jars.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome