Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sketchbook Skool - Beginnings

In April this year I joined the 6 week online sketching course "Sketchbook Skool" (co-founded by Danny Gregory and Koosje Koene). I was familiar with a few of Danny Gregory's books and his blog, and the course featured Prashant Miranda, Roz Stendahl and Tommy Kane as teachers - all sketchbook artists I have admired for some time from an urban sketching perspective.
 
For the last 2 years I have learned sketching skills and concepts mostly from Liz Steel's classes in person, having the great fortune of living in the same city as her. So the idea of learning more from other sketchbook artists seemed like a good one and by the end of the 6 weeks I was very glad I'd signed up.  Following are a few of my homework pieces from the course. We don't get assessed as such but the motivation to make the most of anything these teachers are offering is enough to push me along.
 
Pre-dinner sketching - working on composition with Jane LaFazio

Sketching taxidermy - Understanding sketching animals better from Roz Stendahl's class. Thanks to my friend Olga for taking me to her bar "Honeyrider" in Neutral Bay for my subject!

'Shirley' (Olga's beautiful greyhound). I made this from a photo after sketching Shirley in a variety of poses. This seemed to capture her character. A further developed piece from Roz Stendahl's class.

My kitchen - after week 6 with Tommy Kane.
 
 I have recently completed Sketchbook Skool - Seeing, and will write more about that class in my next post.

5 comments:

  1. WOW, your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! Each course has brought good challenges - many things I haven't tried before :) .

      Delete
  2. Chantal I love reading your blog, Raewyn put me onto it last year and your sketches are amazing. You should frame and sell them on 'Made It' or similar. Look forward to seeing your diversity continue to grow.
    Mel Edwards x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mel! I'm having a lot of fun with the courses. Its a great source of inspiration as well as learning.

      Delete
  3. Your sketches are excellent! I love your kitchen! Right down to the wooden floor. :) Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could come visit yours!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome