Monday, November 24, 2014

Coptic bound Sketchbook


Thanks to the guidance, time and patience - and the sharing of tools and materials - from sketcher Wendy Shortland I have recently completed my first Coptic bound Sketchbook. It took two sittings with Wendy and several hours for the full process from tearing the full size Canaletto 200gsm hot press paper and folding into signatures, making the covers and stitching the binding.

I'm very pleased with the outcome and looking forward to trialling it. The green fern cover paper was from Wendy's stash and I was fortunate that my friend Ethna shared with me more botanical themed paper for the end pages.

I'd like to make more - possibly with fabric covers, but for the moment will start getting used to this paper.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! I want to try a good sketchbook now -- I've made some minis, and now I also know what I want inside . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! There are some fabulous papers available once you start making your own sketchbooks. I'm slowly learning some are better for book binding than others - Wendy suggested this over another we were considering because it folds better. Also it seems the midweight paper might be more suited to this style of binding as opposed to 300gsm. Good luck with yours.

      Delete
  2. We will have to have another session for you to learn how to make book cloth from your fabric. It doesn't take too long to make but it must dry over night. You will need a sheet of Perspex to dry it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I look forward to it! A project for 2015 for sure :)

      Delete

Comments are welcome